With its lush green trees and parkland, proud industrial heritage and rich popular culture, Sheffield has been the focus of countless films, documentaries and TV series’. The likes of ‘The Full Monty’ and ‘This is England’ were both set in Sheffield and, even though they depict a more gritty version of the City, the tongue-in-cheek humour and, sometimes brutal, honesty is there for all to see.
In 2013, the Daily Mail published an article about a UK survey, which declared Sheffield had topped a list of Britain’s happiest cities – with a third of the population saying they wake up with a smile on their face every day.
- A third of people in Sheffield feel upbeat every single day, a survey shows
- City outranked southern spots London, Bristol and Brighton on the list
- Edinburgh came second in the poll, beating Cardiff, London and Belfast
Having lived in Sheffield most of my life, I can tell you it’s not always sunshine and smiles. But with the amazing and beautiful Peak District on our doorstep, the accolade of ‘Europe’s Greenest City‘ and the occasional sporting hero, it’s really not such a bad place.
Here’s my top 10 reasons to be proud you’re from Sheffield …
- It’s the birthplace of Football
- We have Jess Ennis-Hill
- Some of the best musical talent came from Sheffield;
- The Arctic Monkeys
- Joe Cocker
- The Human League
- Bring Me the Horizon
- Def Leppard …
- Our University is leading the way in Cancer Research
- The word ‘ay-up’
- It’s the home of Kelham Island Brewery, makers of the awesome ‘Moonshine‘ *tips hat*
- It’s the home of World Championship Snooker
- Robin Hood was actually from Sheffield
- It was at the University of Sheffield where Eddie Izzard decided to try his hand at comedy
- Sean Bean, for obvious reasons …
So, you see … we really do have the best of it up here. You should try visiting some time 😉
SiteLabs are a WordPress Agency, we take pride in providing world-class web services and support to our customers. We’re also from Sheffield.